Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Camera, Lights, Action!

When I was a teenager, my friends and I used to go to Hollywood to watch movie premieres and hang out at the Grauman's Chinese Theater. Thanks to Techie, this past week, I again had a chance to hang out in Hollywood. Wow, what a difference! Adjacent to the Grauman's is the Kodak Theater and the Hollywood & Highland Center, a shopping center with high-end stores and eateries. Outside on the street, amongst the famous stars on the sidewalks, are costumed characters. $2 got us several pictures of Taylor with a couple of Star Wars fighters, bargain! The Spiderman guy was looking pretty ratty, we stayed away from him.




But wait..that's not even the main event! I had a chance to have lunch at Susan Feniger's new restaurant, Street, on Highland and Melrose. Jason is the sous chef at this fabulous establishment, and the food was fantastic. I'm a big fan of tapas-type food, and this falls under that category as each dish was meant to be shared. Vivian, Jacqui and I ordered several dishes to get a global feel of the menu and we were not disappointed. We started with the Cuban stuffed potato cake with spiced beef, raisins, and capers. The cake was sitting atop a tomato mint salsa and poblano crema, which I think really made the dish.
Next, we had the paani puri. They were delicious little morsels, a crispy dough filled with spiced potatoes and sprouted peas with a tamarind chutney, yum!
Let's move on to the Middle East, we had the lamb kofta skewer. This was one of my favorite dishes. The perfectly seasoned spiced lamb was served on a flatbread with beans, harissa eggs, tomato jam, spinach and Lebni yogurt. I guess it doesn't sound too good listed here, but it was an explosion of flavors in my mouth!
I am notorious in forgetting to take pictures before consuming it, so you'll just have to visit the restaurant and experience it for yourself. The other items we tried were: Saigon chicken salad, the dressing was of chili and lime, it was delicious! Another favorite was the saag paneer, a spinach dish with homemade cheese, spices, and served with dried plum dal and yogurt rice. We finished our meal with Turkish doughnuts. They're small pastries fried and simmered in cardamom rose syrup and served with rosehip jam.

I would definitely go back to this place to experience more food. The bar menu looks interesting as well, I'll have to try an exotic drink next time. Make a reservation today and feel like you've traveled the world!

Street Restaurant
742 No. Highland Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90038
www.eatatstreet.com

No comments: