Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Rolling it Back

I know I was in LA for only a week, but I had a chance to visit some favorite old places and new places, such as the bar pictured above. Tammy met me here for a beer and I was seriously worried when I pulled up to the parking lot. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in. The bar was cozy and warm, with dark, leather benches and intimate booths. They had 4 beers on tap. I tried the Norwood ale, very similar to an IPA. Since it was ladies night, the $3 12-oz beers, cozy atmosphere, and great company made me happy I made the trip.
So, it's almost a ritual when we come home. We take a trip to Glendale and visit Porto's Bakery. It's a Cuban bakery that makes a guava cheese streudel that is so flaky and delicious, it was actually mentioned on a Six Feet Under episode! But really, it all started because I read an article that Andy Garcia comes to Porto's for a ritual cheese roll daily. I've yet to see him, but a girl can dream, can't she....



Since we visited LA, we went by our old house on Sanborn. The neighborhood changed drastically since we left the area in 1976. It's hard to believe that all 7 of us fit in this tiny house. With the color change and exaggerated attic, the house looks almost whimsical.

We also stopped to check out Vivian, Techie and Gerry's old high school, Marshall High. Did you know that Grease was filmed at Marshall's football field? I think we impressed the kids with useless trivia! Remember, you're the one that I love, woohoo hooo!

On our last night, Vivian hosted a Silpada jewelry party.
So many of our good friends came to visit, we had a great time and the food..fabulous! We decided on an all appetizer menu, it was a hit!




It's been a lengthy post, but here's the real reason I wrote it. I wanted to share this recipe with you. It's a great appetizer, and so simple to prepare. There's a myriad of possibilities too, if you want to exchange some of the ingredients in the recipe. Next time, I was thinking of exchanging the asparagus for spinach and adding some kind of protein,maybe ham? Sorry, Stiroh!

I followed the recipe pretty well, except I sauteed the asparagus with some diced onions for a few minutes before adding it to the mushroom mixture. I also used lemon zest instead of the peel, and a little extra to boot. Lastly, we made 9 small square tarts out of each puff pastry sheet, but I think next time, I may opt to stretching that to 12. It will be a perfect 2-biter tart!
Asparagus and Mushroom Tarts
By Betty Rosbottom, Bon Appetit April 2009


1 17.3-ounce package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
12
oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1
teaspoon coarse kosher salt, divided
1/2
teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, divided
1
pound slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2
teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2
teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
1/2
cup crème fraîche
1/2
cup (packed) coarsely grated Gruyère cheese (about 2 ounces)
Fresh thyme sprigs (for garnish)

*Sold at most supermarkets and at specialty foods stores.

Roll out each pastry sheet on work surface to 10-inch square. Cut each into 4 squares. Using small knife, score 1/2-inch border (do not cut through pastry) around inside edges of each square. Arrange squares on 2 rimmed baking sheets. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sauté until tender and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to large bowl; cool 15 minutes. Add asparagus, chopped thyme, lemon peel, 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to mushrooms. Mix in crème fraîche and cheese. DO AHEAD Filling can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.

Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Mound filling atop pastry squares, leaving 1/2-inch plain border.

Bake tarts 12 minutes. Reverse sheets. Continue to bake tarts until crusts are puffed and golden and filling is cooked through, about 10 minutes longer. Transfer to plates; garnish with thyme sprigs.

No comments: